Weathering the Storm: How Nonprofits Can Navigate the RecessionPosted: October 25, 2011
Read the Transcript! (Posted 10/27/11)
This week’s #fundchat topic is “Weathering the Storm: How Nonprofits Can Navigate the Recession.” Join the #fundchat community on Wednesday, Oct. 26 at 12 p.m. EDT (that’s high noon for you folks on the East coast!) for a conversation that will be of interest to you no matter what your role in your organization.
Most nonprofits survive on a shoestring budget and all are cost-per-dollar-raised conscious, looking to spend their donor’s money wisely. Call it a recession, a downturn, a dip or a trough, the economic environment is putting even greater pressure on organizations like ours.
What would you like to know from other nonprofit professionals about how their organization has navigated the economy? What tips could you offer your colleagues? Please offer your ideas for questions for this week’s #fundchat in the comments section below. Here are a few that we might consider for this week’s #fundchat:
- How has the recession affected your bottom line or the services you are able to deliver?
- What creative lengths has your organization gone to to stretch budget dollars even farther?
- Has your organization had to layoff staff? How were these decisions handled?
- Has your nonprofit found a way to use the economic climate in your case for support?
- If support has diminished in one area, has your organization found other areas of revenue to help offset the loss on the other side?
- As you looked to trim budgets, what expenses were the first to go?
Please help spread the word by introducing your colleagues and networks to #fundchat. If you are new to tweetchats, it’s easy. At the appointed time, you follow the hashtag (#fundchat) in your favorite Twitter client and participate in the conversation by adding the hashtag at the end of your tweets. You can also use services like Tweetchat or Twebevent to make participation easy. Check out the #fundchat Twebevent here. Before you begin, you might want to look at our “#fundchat 101” post to familiarize yourself with the format and overall guidelines.